Monday, February 16, 2009

City by the SEA...


I figured it was about time to blog about my adventures in the Emerald City...otherwise known as Seattle Washington. I went to tour a Medical School with one of my dearest friends, Miss Jacqueline Thomas. It was fabulous, we definitely painted the town red.

Without further adieu...here are ten highlights from my trip.

1) The first two days were spent with food poisoning. Even though I was in a city famous for its moisture, I did not let this rain on my Seattle Parade.
2) Jacque and I toured Bastyr, which was absolutely amazing, it is surrounded by a National Forest and is just minutes from Lake Washington, we decided that it was fairy land.
3) We went to Cupcake Royale downtown and got cupcakes (they won an award for the best cupcakes in the city). It was great. The store is pretty cute, all pink and their slogan is "Legalize Frostitution"-- clever.

4) Our rental car died right before we were supposed to leave for our clinic tour...not good. So we called a cab and upon arriving downtown drove around for half an hour looking for the right spot. Only to finally realize that we had the wrong directions, by that time we had missed the majority of the tour. Luckily we had the most awesome cabbie ever and he gave us a huge discount and even checked out our rental car when he dropped us off. He was very concerned about us saying "two young and beautiful girls like you should not have a faulty rental car, what were those people thinking giving you this car with such a bad battery. You could have gotten stranded downtown". To top is off he had the most wonderful African accent.
5) We had a great time exploring the city, thanks to GPS we hardly ever got lost. Jac drove and I navigated, we joked that now that we had GPS we had found another reason that we didn't need men. We strolled around and I took the opportunity to do some photography.
6) We met up with Dave Goodman ---the world traveler---he just got done exploring for 10 months and 10 days, he sold everything he owned and went all over Asia, India, Cambodia, Tahiti, Australia and New Zealand. He brought along his friend Nations, who has lived in Seattle for quite sometime and knows all the coolest places to go. He was an excellent tour guide.
7) Of course we took a day and went to Pikes Place Market. It was the coldest day Seattle has had in a while and it was snowing, but we didn't care and just bundled up and walked all around the city. The market was so much fun. We watched them throw fish. Also down on the piers is the very first original Starbucks, we took pictures but didn't go in (after all we didn't want to support the coffee monopoly).
8) I loved being so close to the ocean, there is just something about port cities that I love. We walked all along the piers and took pictures and laughed...those poor boys that were with us probably thought we were insane. But I think we brought some cheeriness to their lives at the very least. My good friend Niall met up with us there too and strolled with us. It was lovely to see her.
9) As our trip was coming to a close we were both very sad, and felt ridiculous that we didn't want to leave eachother. The day we were scheduled to leave I had to go to the Dr. to get a breathing treatment, then we went out to breakfast and I got oatmeal pancakes...which were really really delicious. I now want to make them at home (**hint hint** if anybody has a recepie). Since we were both flying out the same day we got to run amuck in the airport together, we went to Duty Free and bought perfume and also sat at the resturant over looking the ocean and reminised about our trip. After I boarded Jacque saw the guys from Myth Busters..she sent me a text that said "I just saw the guys from Myth Busters and they were acting exactly like they do on the show, running around being crazy. The one guy was even wearning his Berret".
10) JAC found out recently that she GOT IN TO BASTYR....and will be going this summer. YAY! and CONGRATULATIONS to the FUTURE DR. THOMAS!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

RonElaine said...

I have some oatmeal pancake recipes - remind me when you come ovr Friday and you can copy them!

Lola + Ryan said...

Don't you love the Northwest? people are so nice. so nice.

i love port cities as well.

when you walked by the original starbucks in pike place you were also standing where they do the scene in sleepless in seattle and tom hanks asks his friend how his butt looks and his friend says, "that depends, are we grading on the curve?"

Lola + Ryan said...

Also,

I love that first picture.

I love the frostitution.

Where did you meet this friend?