**Disclaimer: This is all out of jest(mostly) if you are someone or know someone who this directly applies to Please Please don't take it personally. If you tend to take things personally or get easily offended you may want to stop reading now.**
If you are still reading, I like you.
If you aren't, I still probably like you...but you may want to loosen up
Today, while at work I started talking to one of my favorite co-workers (Sombryn)...about names.
The discussion starts with baby names and we both express our distaste for overly unique names. I am all for naming your kid something different and out of the ordinary. That does not, however, mean I am a fan of Apple, Zuma, Diamond, Precious, Trendie, or Styles...the same goes for odd ridiculous spellings such as Kaelee, Aleeshah, or Jaimi.
------Why don't you just spell the name 'Bob' but pronounce it 'Todd'...then when the kid enters school the teacher will call roll and say "Bob" and the kindergartener can have the pleasure of responding with "actually we pronounce it Todd".
Our conversation then turns to the topic of nicknames...and how you need to think about how you shorten a name when picking it. Sombryn gave me a great example. She has a friend who's little girl is named Aspen...cute name right? Well she calls her Asp, which sounds eerily similar to ass. Hmmmm.....something to think about. The moral of this story is: in some cases it is not a good idea to make a nickname by simply shortening the name.
Thanks Som for a lovely day at work and inspiring this blog.
-Side note: A cute nickname story (to redeem this post from being a COMPLETE rant): Jill (another one of my fab co-workers) has a little boy who was quite a chunky little baby, earning him the nick-name "chubby". He has since thinned out, but still only answers to Chubby. His big brother even introduces him as "This is my brother and my best friend Chubby."
This story pulls my heartstrings so much I kind of hope he never learns his name :)
Awww...
9 years ago
3 comments:
B-
I love you! And your B Blog. Seriously, I'm so blessed...to have you as my friend! Don't ever quit. Please, LIBRARY FOR LIFE, BABY!
I agree. Naming your baby is a hard thing. I know, I had to name two at the same time! Nicknames are hard too. Paul gives everyone a nickname. I don't think he calls me "Molly" anymore. It's "Mo" or "Muish". It's amazing that I answer to them and would probably be shocked if he called me by my given name. I wonder if our kids are going to call me what he calls me. Arianne's oldest used to call her husband Adam, Bill. Where he got "Bill" we will never know!
So cute.
I like the name Scarlett but the only nickname is Scar and the only rhyme is Harlot...I guess maybe starlet...but still.
Post a Comment